Othello is a Jacobean play with a relatively small cast. Players-Shakespeare.com’s MFFEV5 edition provides castings for 6 to 10 playreaders. This casting is for 6 players. The roles for each player are shown below with links to a highlight text script. If you want to read your script in Parts and Cues format, change the script format in the setup windows (accessed via the gearwheel in the top right-hand corner of the script window).
Everyone is going to be pretty busy if your reading the play with only 6 players, and some of you are going to have to talk to yourselves in different roles. These situations are outlined. It’s good practice to try and have a different voice for each character, and if you do this, other players will be less confused when you talk to yourself.
The roles for the 6 playreaders are as follows:
- Player 1: Iago, Senator2
- Players 2: Othello, Voice
- Player 3: Desdemona, Montano, Musician, Officer
- Player 4: Emilia, Roderigo, Duke
- Player 5: Brabantio, Lodovico, Bianca, Clown, Gentleman2, Herald, Messenger, Gentleman1
- Player 6: Cassio, Senator1, Gratiano, Gentleman3, Sailor
Note: Player 6 talks to themselves once in A2S1
Player 6 talks to themselves 3 times in A5S1
If you want to understand better how to use our MFFEV5 CloudReader, read:
- Preparing Malvolio for Performance using MFFEV5 CloudReader and Parts and Cues